Texas Adult Drivers Ed for Drivers 18 or Older

Are you an adult and need a drivers license? Our Texas Online Easy Adult Drivers Ed (6 Hours) is specifically designed for students 18 years of age and up. It’s the easiest, fastest way to complete a drivers education course. Our course is Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) approved and State of Texas Licensed – Course #C3252. With easy to read study material, enjoyable videos you’ll be finished in no time.

Frequently Asked Questions about Minor and Adult Driver Education

Who is required to take a driver education course?

Any person between 14 and 25 years old.

I want to take a driver education course, what are my options?

  • Enrolling in a driver education school
  • Enrolling in an approved parent taught course
  • Completing a driver education course at a public school, education service center, college or university

Who can take the adult driver education course?

Any person who is 18 or older.

How much do driver education courses cost?

$30 for Adult Drivers Ed, $60 for Parent Taught (Teen) Drivers Ed

How long is the adult driver education course?

This is a 6-hour course and may be completed online at your own pace using any internet connected device – desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone.

How long is the minor and adult driver education course?

The classroom phase of a driver education course is at least 32 hours for minors, and it cannot be completed in fewer than 16 days. The in-car phase consists of 7 hours of behind-the-wheel driving, 7 hours of in-car observation, and an additional 30 hours of behind-the-wheel practice, of which 10 hours must be done at night.
The additional 30 hours of behind-the-wheel practice must be monitored from the front passenger seat during the driving practice by an adult 21 years or older who holds a valid driver license and has at least one year of driving experience

The adult driver education course is 6 hours.

Can a person older than 18, but younger than 25, take the minor and adult driver education course (32 hours of classroom, 7 hours behind-the-wheel, 7 hours observation)?

Yes, anyone 14 years old or older can take the course.

I lost the form that I received when I completed my driver education course and I need it to get my driver license. Who can I contact to get a duplicate?

To get a duplicate certificate of completion (the DE-964 or DE-964E Certificate of Completion), contact the public school or driver education school you attended. If you completed a parent taught course, contact the parent taught course provider.

My child dropped out of high school and has been told that they cannot get a driver license until they are 18. Is that true?

Yes. Persons under 18 must be enrolled and attending school (public, private or homeschool) as a condition of being licensed to operate a motor vehicle, unless the person has a high school diploma or GED.

What is a student’s alternative to getting a Verification of Enrollment and Attendance Form from their high school during the summer months?

If the VOE is issued the last week of school or during the summer, it is valid for more than the normal 30 days; i.e. until school starts after summer vacation. If you are applying during the summer and are still enrolled in school, your last report card for the most recent school year is acceptable if it has the student’s name, a list of absences, and a complete listing of grades. For homeschool use this VOE form

I am enrolled in a 32-hour teen driver education course and I just turned 18. Can I use the time I have already completed as proof of completion of my 6-hour adult driver education course?

No. Teen driver education classroom hours cannot be applied to the 6-hour adult driver education classroom hour requirements. You must complete the full adult driver course or complete the full teen driver education program.

I completed my driver education course and the school will not issue my completion certificate. What should I do?

The school can withhold the completion certificate if the course has not been paid for in full. Please contact the school first to verify that the student has completed all the required classes or make-up hours. If you have reached out to the school and they will not provide you with your completion certificate, please contact driver education and safety program staff and include the name and address of the school, and the student’s first and last name.

I’m 19 years old and want to get my driver’s license. Do I have to take a course?

Yes, Texas law requires persons 18-25 who wish to obtain a driver’s license to successfully complete a driver education course.

Can I take a 6-hour driving safety or a 6-hour drug and alcohol course to get my driver’s license?

No, these are court-ordered courses for an offense and may not be used to obtain a driver’s license.

How do I obtain a copy of my completion certificate?

Once you have successfully completed your Adult Drivers Ed course you may print your completion certificate (ADE-1317) at any time.