Texas Adult Drivers Education Course for Drivers 18 or Older

Our Texas 6-hour adult drivers education courses are specifically designed for students 18 years of age and older to get their driver’s license. Our online course is the easiest, fastest way to complete a driver’s education course. It’s also approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) and licensed by the State of Texas (under course #C3252.)

With easy-to-read study material and enjoyable videos, you’ll be finished in no time.

(If you already have your license and need a safe driving class, you may be looking for our defensive driving course.)

Adult Drivers Education: Only $30

Register online to get started on your adult drivers education.

You may start your Texas adult driver’s education course at any time. Complete your course in the convenience of your own home or on the go using your smartphone or tablet. You can receive your certificate of completion after the first 6 hours of the course.

What else do you need to get your Texas Drivers License?

You also need to watch the Impact Texas Adult Drivers (ITAD) course. It’s a single-hour video course from the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) about the dangers of distracted driving. You will then receive a completion certificate, too.

Once you have both your ITAD completion certificate and your ADE-1317 certificate for completing a Texas adult driver’s education course, then you’re ready to schedule an appointment for the DPS exam, which is a driving test and vision test. 

And the easiest road ahead starts with taking an online drivers ed course. 

FAQs About Texas Adult Driver Education Course

Q: Who can take the adult driver education course?

A: Any person who is 18 years old or older who wants to get their driver’s license can take the 6-hour course for adults to get their driver license.

Anyone 14 years old or older may take the teen driving/parent-taught driving ed course.

Q: I’m 19 years old and want to get my license. Do I have to take a course?

A: Yes. If you want a driver’s license, you have to finish an education course, according to Texas law. If you’re 18 years old or older, you should take this adult driver education course.

Q: I’m enrolled in a 32-hour teen driver education course, and I just turned 18. Can I use the time I have already completed as proof of completion of my 6-hour adult driver education course?

A: No. Now that you’re 18, you can start (and complete) the full adult driver education course. Or you can stick to the rest of your teen driver’s education course.

However, the classroom hours do not transfer from one driver education course to another.

Q: Is it true that dropping out of high school means I can’t get a driver license until I’m 18 years old?

A: Yes. If you’re not enrolled in a public school, private school or are home schooling, then you cannot take a teen driver education program to get a license. You can get a GED or high school diploma to bypass that requirement.

Here’s the good news: Adult drivers education takes only 6 hours, instead of the 32-hour course for minors and teen drivers. At 18 years old, you can finish the 6-hour course and download a completion certificate instantly.

Q: How long is the adult driver education course?

A: Six hours. This is a course offered by an online driving school. You may complete it at your own pace using any internet-connected device: desktop computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.

Adult drivers education does not require behind-the-wheel training or road practice.

Q: Help! I lost my completion certificate. What should I do?

A: You can print a duplicate copy of your completion certificate. (That is, the DE-964 or DE-964E Certificate of Completion.) Ordinarily, if you’ve lost your completion certificate, you would only need to reach out to the driving school that provided your class to get a copy. If you did it online with EasyDriversEd.com, you can print a duplicate any time. Just sign in.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my completion certificate?

A: Once you have successfully completed your Adult Drivers Ed course you may print your completion certificate (ADE-1317) at any time.

Q: My driving school won’t issue my completion certificate. What should I do?

A: Driver training schools can withhold the completion certificate if the course has not been paid for in full. First, verify that you’ve completed the courses and don’t have any outstanding requirements. Once you’ve contacted the school and met their requirements including any outstanding balances, you can contact Driver Education and Safety Program staff. Be sure to include the name and address of the school and the student’s first and last names.

Q: What about defensive driving or drug and alcohol training? Can those get me a driver license?

A: No, the 6-hour driving safety class and the 6-hour drug and alcohol training course are different training courses. They’re ordered by a court because of an offense. A completion certificate from those courses will not qualify you for a driver license. The only thing they have in common with the adult drivers education class is that it lasts 6 hours.